Saturday, March 24, 2012

Character Study!

So this is another character study of Molly, of In My Mother's Closet.  This one is in gouache, I've never done an image entirely in gouache and I really love the flat quality. It feels very solid. I did another one in watercolor that just didn't feel right and the previous Molly face in just some quick washes which I liked. 

Gouache turns out to be a medium I really like. The problem is if you want flat solid color you have to mix it prior and then fill it in and make sure you don't overlap with another color otherwise it will mix with the other color. Hence there is no painting over gouache, but that is only a small con for me. It is still much easier than watercolor which is very unforgiving.  Anyways, I think I will try doing an entire piece in gouache this time and post later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment